The Shires Model 401 C trumpet is an exceptionally refined take on the prototypical American orchestral trumpet sound. This horn will fit in with the rest of the section while still giving you the character you want for solo or chamber playing. The 401 is a wonderful all-around instrument that will be ideal for most players.
Shires Model 401 C Trumpet
The S.E. Shires Model 401 trumpet is the latest version of our original signature C trumpet. It features a uniquely balanced heavyweight “4” bell taper, which combines a big, powerful sound with easy response. The bell of the 401 updates the design of traditional C trumpet bells in that it is bent slightly shorter, resulting in a Z-brace placement closer to the bell bend. For some players, this can solidify the feel and quicken response. Matched with the open 401 leadpipe and the centered and projecting WF tuning slide, it produces an ideal balance of breadth, clarity, depth, and projection. Yellow-brass balusters add warmth to the sound while nickel-silver valve caps add brilliance and character, increase its core, and contribute to cleanness and immediacy of attack.
- Bore: .462 inch
- 401 Bell: 4 13⁄16 inch, one piece, hand-hammered "4" (open) taper in balanced heavyweight yellow brass, with traditionally brazed (side) seam, brass bead, and dual-radius bell bend
- 401 Leadpipe: .351-inch venturi, standard-weight yellow brass—open and free-blowing, with easy response
- WF Tuning Slide: dual-radius bend, flanged braces, standard water key—centered core, brilliance, and presence of sound
- Piston Material: hand-lapped Monel
- Valve Cluster: two-piece casings, standard weight, with yellow-brass balusters
- Lower Valve Caps: nickel silver
- Bell Engraving: S.E. Shires makers mark, model designation, and traditional floral pattern
- Includes S.E. Shires double trumpet case, mouthpiece, and care kit
If you have additional questions send us an email.
Prior to ordering please check our Shipping and Returns policy.
Also note weight indicated in the ad is shipping weight not actual weight of item.