Austin Custom Brass Backbores
ACB backbores are now in stock!
All ACB tops and backbores utilize the now universally accepted "Warburton" threads, making them compatible with almost every other maker's modular components! Check out our mouthpiece sizing spreadsheet to see which backbores come standard with our various one-piece mouthpieces. If you want help choosing a backbore for your particular playing needs, please call our Mouthpiece Hotline at (781) 816-9664 and we'll be happy to assist you!
ACB backbores are designed to be as acoustically efficient as possible. Currently I have many different tapers available!
Here are our standard backbores, from high compression commercial backbores to wide-open orchestral backbores:
- KA3: Our newest commercial backbore and it is amazing! Feels almost like the throat is one size smaller due to the compression.
- KA2: A very nice backbore with good zing.
- KA1: More core than the A2 and a bit tighter as well.
- A2: The A2 is a weapon! Designed to be mated with compression mouthpieces.
- T (Tight): commercial backbore which provides the most resistance and "zing" to your sound
- MT (Medium Tight): Provides great resistance, especially for players who tend to "backup."
- S (Standard): Provides the best balance between resistance and sound spread for most players.
- MO (Medium Open): A great slightly open symphonic shape produces a rich, warm tone but still gives ample resistance when needed.
- A1: This backbore is a very large, symphonic backbore that is in between the MO and O – a wonderful backbore suited for the classical player or jazz soloist wishing for a large sound!
- O (Open): This is a very large, open backbore designed for the orchestral musician to provide the feel and sound spread that most orchestral players prefer
- OO (Very Open): Huge backbore for enormous, rich sound (takes a lot of air)
We also have some specialized backbores that are different than the "standard" line:
- AOS: Designed for C trumpet players looking for a large and warm sound, it's open and free-blowing. It provides a feel and sound spread that is perfect for orchestral playing and for chamber music.
- KA1, KA2, and KA3: Based on the great customer response to our A2 backbore we decided to expand our commercial backbore line with the three new options in our KA Series!
- VNT: a vintage trumpet shank backbore specially designed to work with pre-1930's classic trumpet shanks (King liberties, Holton Revelation, Martin Handcrafts, etc), available here.
We also have two different cornet backbores available (one in standard length, and one in the short "British" length which works nicely with larger tops).
Choose between our Large and Small taper flugelhorn backbores, available in our standard weight only.
All trumpet mouthpiece backbores can be ordered now to be cut for sleeves in the drop-down menu (the sleeves are not included in the purchase; backbores cut for sleeves will not work without the sleeves).
Special Order Options Call (816) 410-0826
Throat sizing: All backbores will be made with a #27 (.144) throat. If you would like to change it to a custom size we can do almost any modern size. Let us know we'd be happy to help!
Gold plate: Gold plated backbores may be ordered over the phone. Gold plating will add $30 and an additional 3-4 weeks for delivery.
Threaded backbores for Adams integrated receivers: We can make backbores for the Adams A8 integrated mouthpiece receivers (requires a specialized mouthpiece top as well).
If you have additional questions send us an email.
Prior to ordering please check our Shipping and Returns policy.
Also note weight indicated in the ad is shipping weight not actual weight of the item.
We have mouthpieces equivalent to the Laskey 84D, Warbuton 2D, Laskey 84B, Warbuton 2MD, Laskey 84C, Warbuton 2MC, Hickman GW, Bach 1X, Monette B1-1, 30's Bach NY1, Vincent Bach 1 mouthpiece, Laskey 80B, Haefer, Yamaha 16C4, Schilke 16C4, Bach Mount Vernon 1 1/4C, Curry 1.25BC, Bach 1 1/4C, Bach 1/4 C, Tilz 1 1/4CE, Monette B2, Monette B2S3, ACB 1.25C, MV 1-1/4C, Monette B2LD, Tilze 1 1/2E, Bach 1 1/2B, Monette B3, Curry 1.5BC, Warbuton 3MD, Bach 1.5C, Monette B3, Curry 1.5C, Warbuton 3MC, Bach 1.5C, Monette B3, GR 67, Monette B3L, Bach 1.5D, Mount Vernon 3C, GR 66.5, Mount Vernon 3B, BH3, Monette B4, Bach Mt. Vernon 3, Monette B4S, Bach Mt. Vernon 3D, Monette B4L, Bach 2 1/2C, Bach 3D/E, Curry 3DE., Monette B5L, Bach 3, Bach 3B, Monette B5, Bach 3, Warbuton 4MC, Schilke 14B, Monette B6s1, GR 65M, Pickett 5D, Monette BLM, GR 65M/S, Monette BL, GR 65S, Pickett 5E, New York Bach 5B, Pickett 5B, GR 74.7 MX, Bach 5B, Pickett 5C, Curry 5C, Monette B6, Giardinelli 7M, Bach 7D, Monette B7, Bach 7E, GR 64S, Giardinelli 7S, New York Bach 7, New York Bach 7B, Giardinelli 10M, M Shew 2, New York Bach 10 1/2C, Shew Yamaha Lead, Marcinkiewicz Shew 1, Giardinelli 10S, Schilke 14a4a, Monette B4L, Bach MV 3D, Marcinkiewicz Shew 1.75, Vintage Gustat Heim trumpet mouthpiece, Al Cass 1-27, Cat Anderson trumpet mouthpiece