The Custom Reserve flugelhorn mouthpieces are here!!
These mouthpieces come in two different shank tapers to fit most flugelhorns. Please indicate what flugelhorn brand and model you play so we can best match the shank for you instrument! Choose the large shank (No 's' = Yamaha, Adams, Conn, ACB Doubler, etc) or the small shank ('s' = Bach, Kanstul, etc). Please call us if you need a different shank taper.
These Custom Reserve pieces are the next step in our development as a company here at ACB. They have taken a few years from concept to initial designs, to working prototypes, to this final project, and we are so excited to share these with you!
There are a couple of big points to differentiate the Custom Reserve line from our standard series:
- The O is underlined in the name for a reason: the Custom Reserve line feels incredibly open. These are designed to be played with a full air stream and as little body tension as possible. We do have a few videos to share with everyone who purchases a CR line mouthpiece to help in the acclimation process. Some will find it instantly easy to go from a standard series piece to the CR line, but even I found it a bit of an adjustment that is 100% worth the effort! The commercial pieces especially are a huge step ahead as they have such a full and rich sound while still maintaining tremendous efficiency.
- The Custom Reserve mouthpieces only come in this exclusive blank and only in brushed gold plate. We could potentially do a silver plated piece on request, but no blank substitutions. This external blank profile design is absolutely paramount to all the of the elements that make these pieces so unique. We will not be offering the Custom Reserve in acrylic or delrin at the moment due to the internal specs being too crucial to the playability of the CR line. We are working on an acrylic rim solution but still have not been happy with the results in prototyping.
- There are no alterations on these pieces because of their design. We can customize a standard series line mouthpiece if needed, but the CR pieces each have very specialized rim, cup, throat, throat length, backbore taper, and other dimensions to optimize them fully. We have spent the time really fine-tuning these!
Custom Reserve Mouthpiece Sizes:
The sizes in the Custom Reserve line are also a bit limited, based on over a decade of the most popular models we sell at ACB. All mouthpieces have the same relative cup shape and depth. We chose this cup after extensively prototyping the different rims with our 3 flugelhorn cup depths (F, MDF, and FD). They are available in two shank sizes: the standard (Yamaha, Adams, etc), and small (Kanstul, Bach, etc.). Please feel free to contact us if you are unsure about which shank taper that your instrument will accept!
While totally revised, there are some relative comparisons between our Standard Series line and these Custom Reserve mouthpieces. If you are familiar with the rims in our Standard Series, each of these below they will feel similar on the embouchure. More detailed videos and technical information coming shortly.
- ACB CR 1.25+ (Rim is modeled after our 1.25CS in the standard series)
ID .671 OD 1.068
- ACB CR 2+ (Rim is modeled after our MV3C in the standard series)
ID .664 OD 1.072
- ACB CR 3+ (Rim is modeled after our 3C in the standard series please check out the comparison video above!)
ID .653 OD 1.066
- ACB CR 4+ (Rim is modeled after our 3CS in the standard series)
ID .650 OD 1.066
- ACB CR TA1+ (Rim is modeled after our TA1 in the standard series)
ID .639 OD 1.084
- ACB CR TAZ+ (Rim is modeled after our TAZ in the standard series)
ID .625 OD 1.076
- ACB CR L3+ (Designed for Shop Manager Kyle Lambert this rim is completely new for this line only!)
ID .628 OD 1.079
Free US Shipping on all pre-orders!
If you have additional questions, please send us an email!
Prior to ordering please check our Shipping and Returns policy.
Also note weight indicated in the ad is shipping weight not actual weight of the items.