Now as a standard option for ordering, you can get the ACB Standard series mouthpieces with an acrylic rim! Choose the rim color and plating option, and we will deliver it in our traditional (Bach style) blank! We can also have the backbore cut for sleeves.
"Making custom mouthpieces is one of the main reasons I opened up my shop. I wanted to make a mouthpiece that felt comfortable, had a rich sound full of overtones, and didn't zap my endurance! After a lot of time on the lathe, I'm proud to say I've developed a comprehensive offering of mouthpieces sizes for any gig! We have the absolute highest tolerances in the industry!" -Trent Austin
Click here to see the options and equivalencies!
Click the "Videos" tab above (next to "Overview") to see detailed video demonstrations of our mouthpiece line! New videos uploaded frequently, please email us if there's a specific mouthpiece you'd like to hear.
Please call the Mouthpiece Hotline with questions or to place an order! (781) 816-9664
You can also email us with questions!
Scroll down to read our detailed descriptions, and customer reviews like these:
"As usual, ACB is killing it! Love the pieces. Comfy. Efficient. Rich sound! What more could you want??!?!" -J
"Chaps since delivery of my mouthpiece I haven’t been able to put it down. This is by far the best mp I’ve ever owned. Perfect slotting, pure, clean notes, warm sound, super comfortable and a dream tone. Oh and a great service. What more can you ask for :-)" -Leslie
Here's a quick video where I discuss some different options I've been playing lately:
Check the insides of some of my most popular sizes!
Most of our ACB mouthpieces are in stock in the standard blank. Other ACB blanks are custom made to order and may not be in stock. Please review the comparison sheet for size equivalencies.
Please note that almost every manufacturer measures in slightly different places so the comparison information below is for broad comparisons only.
These custom pieces take 8-12 weeks from payment to build. We do require payment up front. Please review our shipping and return policy here.
Please note there are no returns on custom orders.
We would love to answer any questions you may have about a custom order! Give our Mouthpiece Hotline a call at (781) 816-9664 or email us with questions!
Larger Sized ACB mouthpieces (.674+) :
- Papa Bear: This mouthpiece is not for the faint of heart! It has an extremely large mouthpiece (.684) which puts it around an old Bach 1 diameter. The cup is a large bowl, throat #20 and a custom backbore give this piece the most efficiency while maintaining a HUGE sound.
- Bee Bear: Similar to the Papa this mouthpiece has a medium large b-shaped bowl, and slightly smaller backbore.
- New York 1: This originally started out as a CMM scan of a very early New York Bach 1 mouthpiece. The cup and rim are very similar, the backbore and throat are matched with this cup to produce a very large sound shape. This is a great orchestral mouthpiece!
- 1C: This is my take on an older Bach 1C but with an improved throat and backbore combo. It feels significantly more efficient and sounds more energized while maintaining a rich core throughout all registers. This mouthpiece has our standard 24 throat and 10/24 combo backbore.
"I've been playing the Cee Bear now for 2 months and the more I use it and the more I compare it to other mouthpieces, the more I like it. It is extremely easy and fast responding, making it much easier for me to play more beautiful. The sound is full, but not dull and works great on my Bb and C trumpet. Even though it is a very large rim, I do not seem to sacrifice any notes in the upper register. My sound on Bb and C never sounded better. I mainly play in a local Orchestra and for that purpose it is the best I ever had." -a satisfied customer
Smaller Symphonic sized mouthpieces (.668-674):
- 1.25 CB: This has a classic Bach Mt. Vernon 1-1/4C mouthpiece rim that's blended in the CAD program with a great old Bach 5B cup. The result is an incredibly rich sounding mouthpiece without losing efficiency or having the turbulent points caused by a traditional "screw-rim" setup.
- 1.25C: This is a take on a great 1 1/4C mouthpiece with some refinements in bore, backbore, and throat. To me it feels more like a 1.5C due to the great efficiency.
- 1 1/2B: This is a great sounding orchestral mouthpiece. While not as wide as the Papa Bear (the diameter is like a modern 1 1/2) the rim is comfortable and forgiving. The cup bowl is reminiscent of some rotary trumpet mouthpieces. I've always loved those mouthpieces, but the backbores and end shanks are really not made for conventional piston trumpets. My mouthpieces are made to work with piston trumpets and still work really well in rotary trumpets!
- 1 1/2C: This is one of my best-selling mouthpieces and extremely comfortable compared to other manufacturers' "cookie cutter" rim contoured 1 1/2's.
- 1.5 CB: Similar to the 1.25 CB with my ACB 1 1/2C rim
"Trent makes some ridiculously good mouthpieces. He's either a genius or completely lottery lucky on mouthpiece designs. His 1.25Orch model is to die for. Try it for yourself" -a satisfied customer
Classic "MV" diameter sized pieces (based on a great Bach Mt. Vernon rim):
- MV 1 1/4C: This is my modernized take on the Bach Mt. Vernon 1-1/4C mouthpiece. I match this piece with my O backbore and a slightly enlarged throat and throat entrance. It plays incredibly well and also has a very "classic" sound!
- 665MC: Slightly larger than the MV 3C, this has a more efficient cup shape than on my MV 3C mouthpieces.
- MV 3C: Another special mouthpiece, please check out this link for more info: https://www.austincustombrass.biz/austin-custom-brass-mv-3c-special-mouthpieces/
- MV3CS: MV3C rim with my CS cup -- it's slightly smaller and also has a much more efficient entrance into the throat. This helps the articulation and adds a lively "zip" to the sound. This mouthpiece is especially good on vintage trumpets or overly dark horns to make them "speak." Paired with the MO backbore for a balanced feel.
"I have the MV3C and the MV3L. Both have a great sound and are really easy to play." -Mario
Medium sized Standard Series Mouthpieces (.630-656)
- 3: My take on a classic 1928 mouthpiece. I tweaked a bunch inside this mouthpiece and while it still retains the core sound the piece plays considerably more efficiently and consistently in all registers.
- 3B: Same rim as on my 3C but with a medium deep B-shaped bowl. It's one of my most popular mouthpieces and has an incredibly warm tone!
- 3C: My take on a fantastic Bach 3C mouthpiece from the late 60's; I have never played a 3C like it. I think the added mass and proper matching backbore make this a formidable all-around mouthpiece!
- 3CS: Similar to the 3C except it's slightly smaller and has a much more efficient entrance into the throat. It helps the articulation and adds a lively "zip" to the sound. This mouthpiece is especially good on vintage trumpets or overly dark horns to make them "speak".
- 5B: My modernized take on one of the finest mouthpieces ever made, the Bach New York 5B. I've made the ACB 5B mouthpiece much more efficient than the vintage counterpart while maintaining the great sound shape and spread. It's one of my most popular sizes.
- 5C: Long considered a transitional mouthpiece for the student, I've spent a bunch on time on this piece as most of my earlier prototypes didn't make the cut. This mouthpiece has an incredibly rich tone with fantastic articulations and ease in all registers. It's a great, comfortable mouthpiece!
"I've given Trent's 3C mouthpiece a 5 star review in the past and thought I'd do the same for the 3CS that I'm currently playing... It's quite simply the most comfortable and most responsive 3C type mouthpiece I've ever played with a fat, warm core to the sound. It's just a super efficient design that sounds great, what else do you need in a mouthpiece! Thanks so much for all the great gear you've made available to the trumpet world, keep up the great work Trent!" -Ray
Smaller diameter Standard Series Mouthpieces:
- 10 1/2C: While this is a fairly small diameter mouthpiece it produces a big tone, with a fine high register and resonating low register. I started with this piece thinking it would a good mouthpiece for students to start on, but I find it very good for all players, especially those with very thin lips and ones who want a bit more corner support.
- 10CV: Another new addition to the line, this mouthpiece was made for folks who want a compact efficient commercial mouthpiece but who "bottom-out" on smaller pieces. This rim is very similar to an older Giardinelli 10 and the cup a medium shallow hybrid v/bowl shape. The result is a very good all-around show and commercial mouthpiece. It's also an excellent choice for jazz soloists looking for a piece for extended solo work.
- 1-27: This is my take on a fantastic vintage piece, the Al Cass 1-27. The cup and rim are loosely based off the Al Cass mouthpiece. I then used a slightly more aggressive entrance into the bowl of the mouthpiece and also a tighter backbore to make the piece zip even more. The inner diameter is around a 7C but with a round and comfortable rim. The cup volume is less than a 7C for sure, so this mouthpiece has a lot more efficiency and sparkle to the sound.
- Lead 1.25: I've always loved the cup of the Marcinkiewicz Shew 1.25, and played on that mouthpiece for many years. I felt the piece's weight, straight throat, and backbore could be improved for my own use. I designed this mouthpiece to feel more forgiving (especially in this blank) and gained more core in the overall sound shape. This mouthpiece is a weapon for the commercial trumpet player!
"About a year ago, I switched to the ACB Lead 1. I have virtually played every brand on the market over the past 20 years and nothing has helped secure my playing like the Lead 1. The sound, articulation and projection is second to none. Trent is not only a first class musician but also a first class gentleman and businessman. Kudos to making equipment that works with you to maximize the musician within!" -a satisfied customer
TA Series (designed for my own personal playing needs)
- TA1: Please see the link for more info: https://www.austincustombrass.biz/products/Austin-Custom-Brass--TA-1--Trent-Austin-Signature-mouthpiece.html
- TA2: It has a cup design which while being fairly shallow bowl shaped has an efficient entrance into the bottom of the cup to make it very efficient without sounding brittle. The rim is semi-flat with good support and is close to a "3-ish" diameter (.664). The TA1 is still my primary piece and I find it fantastic for everything but lead and show playing. That's where the TA2 comes in for me. It feels like a great show mouthpiece. I remember one gig where I played it on some 3 horn Sinatra arrangements and it was great to solo on and then sizzles above high C without getting smaller in sound shape.
- TA-Lead: This is a model I've created for my own lead mouthpiece use. This rim is extremely comfortable, similar to an old Giardinelli 10S mouthpiece but rounder and more forgiving. The cup depth is shallow enough for great compression yet produces an incredibly rich tone in all registers. Standard 28 throat and my "zip" backbore round out this model. It's a great lead mouthpiece for people who tend to "bottom out" on small cups.
- TA-Screech: A new take on a classic piece... this is a very small, high compression mouthpiece that is surprisingly easy to play. 30 throat and "zip" backbore produces one of the most efficient lead mouthpieces I've ever played!
- TA-Z: The TA-Z (or "Zing") might be one of the most comfortable commercial mouthpieces I've designed that can still maintain a beautiful sound from Pedal C to Double C and above. It features a .625 diameter with a medium flat rim and shallow hybrid V/S cup.
"A quick review of the TA2: wow. Now for a more complete review. I really enjoyed it on my gig last night. It was so comfortable and easy to play. I also had to back off my mic a little bit. So much core and center to the sound that it just flew out the bell. It works so well with my [Bach Stradivarius] 43 it's ridiculous. Lots of brilliance to the sound without becoming harsh, especially in the middle and lower registers. It sounds cliche, but as someone who plays mostly bigger pieces for everything else, I've found my perfect lead/commercial piece! Thanks Trent!" -Rob
Here is a list of our backbores in order of tightest to most open:
- KA3: our newest commercial backbore and it is amazing! Feels almost like the throat is one size smaller due to the compression.
- KA2: a very nice backbore with good zing.
- KA1: more core than the A2 and a bit tighter as well.
- A2: The A2 is a weapon! Designed to be mated with extreme compression mouthpieces, this might be the ultimate commercial backbore I've played. It works great above high C and mates with 27, and 28 tops extremely well!
- T (Tight): commercial backbore which provides the most resistance and "zing" to your sound.
- MT (Medium Tight): Provides great resistance, especially for players who tend to "back-up" with very tight commercial backbores.
- S (Standard): Provides the best balance between resistance and sound spread for most players.
- MO (Medium Open): A great slightly open symphonic shape produces a rich, warm tone but still gives ample resistance when needed.
- A1: This backbore is a very large, symphonic backbore that is in between the MO and O but feels like it combines both feel and sound shapes from the two other shapes. It's a wonderful backbore suited for the classical player or jazz soloist wishing for a large sound!
- O (Open): This is a very large, open backbore designed for the orchestral musician to provide the feel and sound spread that most orchestral players prefer.
- OO (Very Open): Huge backbore for enormous, rich sound (takes a lot of air).
Got a question about our mouthpiece offerings? Give us a call on the Mouthpiece Hotline (781) 816-9664 or email us!
Scroll down for the reviews!
If you have additional questions, please send us an email!
Prior to ordering please check our Shipping and Returns policy.
Also note weight indicated in the ad is shipping weight not actual weight of the item.
Austin Custom Brass, ACB, Trent Austin, For sale, custom brass shop, custom trumpet, Kansas City, kc, kcmo, Trumpet,mouthpiece, mouthpieces, custom mouthpiece, best trumpet, cheap trumpet, We have mouthpieces equivalet to the Laskey 84D, Warbuton 2D, Laskey 84B, Warbuton 2MD, Laskey 84C, Warbuton 2MC, Hickman GW, Bach 1X, Monette B1-1, 30's Bach NY1, Vincent Bach 1 mouthpiece, Laskey 80B, Haefer, Yamaha 16C4, Schilke 16C4, Bach Mount Vernon 1 1/4C, Curry 1.25BC, Bach 1 1/4C, Bach 1/4 C, Tilz 1 1/4CE, Monette B2, Monette B2S3, ACB 1.25C, MV 1-1/4C, Monette B2LD, Tilze 1 1/2E, Bach 1 1/2B, Monette B3, Curry 1.5BC, Warbuton 3MD, Bach 1.5C, Monette B3, Curry 1.5C, Warbuton 3MC, Bach 1.5C, Monette B3, GR 67, Monette B3L, Bach 1.5D, Mount Vernon 3C, GR 66.5, Mount Vernon 3B, BH3, Monette B4, Bach Mt. Vernon 3, Monette B4S, Bach Mt. Vernon 3D, Monette B4L, Bach 2 1/2C, Bach 3D/E, Curry 3DE., Monette B5L, Bach 3, Bach 3B, Monette B5, Bach 3, Warbuton 4MC, Schilke 14B, Monette B6s1, GR 65M, Pickett 5D, Monette BLM, GR 65M/S, Monette BL, GR 65S, Pickett 5E, New York Bach 5B, Pickett 5B, GR 74.7 MX, Bach 5B, Pickett 5C, Curry 5C, Monette B6, Giardinelli 7M, Bach 7D, Monette B7, Bach 7E, GR 64S, Giardinelli 7S, New York Bach 7, New York Bach 7B, Giardinelli 10M, Marcinkiewicz Shew 2, New York Bach 10 1/2C, Shew Yamaha Lead, Marcinkiewicz Shew 1, Giardinelli 10S, Schilke 14a4a, Monette B4L, Bach MV 3D, Marcinkiewicz Shew 1.75, Vintage Gustat Heim trumpet mouthpiece, Al-Cass 1-27,
ACB Glantz Mouthpiece Demo - Detailed Replica of Harry Glantz's Great Vintage Trumpet Mouthpiece
ACB's take on the classic Harry Glantz mouthpiece! For years a...
ACB TA Screech Mouthpiece Demo - Easy Playing and Efficient Lead Trumpet Mouthpiece by Trent Austin
Here's one of my first CAD designs, the TA Screech! It's a new...
ACB TA Lead Mouthpiece Demo - Trent Austin's Personal Lead Trumpet Mouthpiece, Only From ACB
TA-Lead: This is a model I've created for my own lead mouthpi...
ACB 3B Mouthpiece Demo - A True B Cup with Tone for Days, Built on the Incredibly Popular ACB 3C Rim
The ACB 3B has the same rim as my 3C but with a medium deep, B...
ACB Lead 1 Mouthpiece Demo - Combo of 3 Different Bobby Shew Mouthpiece Scans Plus Some ACB Magic
The ACB Lead 1 is a very popular mouthpiece in our line for pl...
ACB NY1 Mouthpiece Demo - Large Orchestral Mouthpiece Based on an Early New York Bach 1 Scan
This originally started out as a CMM scan of a very early New ...
ACB MV 1.25C Mouthpiece Demo - Based on a Bach Mt. Vernon at an Affordable Price
MV 1 1/4C: This is my modernized take on the Bach Mt. Vernon 1...
ACB TA2 Mouthpiece Demo - Trent Austin Model Lead/Show/Commercial Mouthpiece
Part of the ACB TA series I created for my own personal use! T...
ACB 3 Mouthpiece Demo - Classic Late 1920s New York Bach Design With Added Modern Efficiency
The ACB 3 (not 3C, not 3B, just a straight 3) is based on an o...
ACB 3DS Mouthpiece Demo - A "Zippier" 3C With Brilliance And Core from Austin Custom Brass
Similar to the 3C except it's slightly smaller and has a much ...
ACB MV 3C Mouthpiece Demo - Bach Mount Vernon-Based Design with Modern CNC Consistency
The ACB MV3C is one of our most popular mouthpieces. A TON of ...
ACB 5C Mouthpiece Demo - My Take on an Underrated Size! A Unique Professional 5C Option Only at ACB
The 5C has long been considered a transitional mouthpiece for ...
ACB Bee Bear Mouthpiece Demo - Large Orchestral Mouthpiece from Austin Custom Brass
The ACB "Bear" series mouthpieces are large orchestral mouthpi...
ACB Lead 1.5 Mouthpiece Demo - Similar to the Schilke 14a4a With Added Openness and Richness
The ACB Lead 1.5 is our take on the Schilke 14a4a mouthpiece, ...
ACB 1.25CS Mouthpiece Demo - Special Design for Efficiency & Core Sound
The ACB 1.25CS is an incredibly popular option among our sever...
ACB 3C Mouthpiece Demo - A Fantastic Optimization of My Favorite Bach 3C Ever! Super Versatile
The ACB 3C is my take on a fantastic Bach 3C mouthpiece from t...
ACB Papa Bear Mouthpiece Demo - Our Largest Orchestral Mouthpiece at Austin Custom Brass
The ACB Papa Bear is a VERY large orchestral-style mouthpiece....
ACB 1CWE Mouthpiece Demo - Based on One of Trent's Favorites (to Listen to)
The ACB 1CWE mouthpiece has a nicely rounded rim with a larger...
ACB 1 1/2 CB Mouthpiece Demo - A Rich & Efficient Orchestral Mouthpiece from Austin Custom Brass
This mouthpiece uses our ACB 1 1/2 rim that's blended in the C...